Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"Yay...It's All Over!"

Generally at ceremonies I'm the one who greets the new couple at the end of the aisle.  It's almost as exciting for me to see the joy and looks on their faces as what it is for them to be married.  Ok, not really.  Probably can't compare those two, but it is exciting for me nonetheless!

This weekend the bride said something to me that's never, ever been said before.  I said, "Yay!  You're married!"  The bride's reply was, "Yay!  It's all over!"  And my reply, without even hesitating was, "NO!  It's just beginning!"  She looked at me and simply replied, "Oh, yeah."

Wedding days are great!  It's nice to have your family and friends around to celebrate you and your spouse.  It's nice to see all of your hard work come together for your day.  And oh, the compliments of what a great job you did....nothing can beat that!  Right??  Well, how about the excitement of what comes next.  No, silly!  Not the honeymoon...I'm talking about what comes after that.  Have you thought that far ahead?  That's right...I'm talking about what is the most important item of all planning....your marriage!

Many people get so caught up in the planning and focusing on that one day that they forget the purpose of that day to begin with:  the celebration of two lives merging into one; the creation of a life long partnership; saying goodbye to the single lives and that stinky futon your hubby has had since college that smells like...well...we won't go there.  It's time for the most important thing ever:  The marriage!!!

So, you've planned your day, you've had your day, you went on your honeymoon and now you're back in your home.  Together.  Just the two of you.  The happy new Mr. and Mrs. X.  The awkward moment when you realize you're not quite sure what to do next and there is silence in the room.

So...what do you do now?  Simple....you start your normal, everyday, routine life together.  Now, I could give you some tips on how to do this.  A checklist of what's normal in a marriage.  But guess what?  I'm not gonna (because it's my blog and I don't have to if I don't want to!).  No, I'm not going to do that because you already have this information at your fingertips:  talk to parents and grandparents, look it up on the internet, go to a book store and visit their self help aisle. 

And the best resource of all:  communicate with your new spouse.  Talk about how you feel with one another, ideas they have, thoughts they have on how you should live your life together.  The only two that can successfully make a strong and healthy marriage are the two that it's between:  the new Mr. and Mrs. X!  


No comments:

Post a Comment